Error message

Warning: chmod(): Operation not permitted in _event_css_add() (line 272 of /var/www/html/csst/sites/all/modules/event_calendar/event_calendar_colors/event_calendar_colors.module).

SR.EMERITA (1915 – 2002)

Sr. Emerita was the youngest of 8 children of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Paul D’Souza of Mangalore.  They were a well-knit and loving family.  Her elder sister, Sr. Adelaide was a nun in our Institute and she had another sister who was an Ursuline, Sr.Magdalene.

Sr. Emerita was always a kind-hearted gentle person whom anyone could take advantage of.  She completed her novitiate and was thereafter assigned to St. Teresa’s High school where she taught and was also sacristan.  This she did for 14 years.  She was the n sent as superior to Mariapura, a village near Bangalore. This was a difficult mission, but Sr. Emerita was happy and worked well there.  After some years she was again appointed superior in Chakkai, a small mission station in  Bihar. In those days it was a Jesuit mission and the Fathers were zealous missionaries who supported and encouraged the sisters.  Sr. Emerita worked well with them.  She was the transferred to other northern missions and then in 1983 she returned to the south and was made warden of the hostel I Teresian College Mysore.

In all these assignments Sr. Emerita worked with the same cheerful, submissive a willing spirit.  She was always available to the students or teachers and kind to everyone.  Anyone could approach her without fear.  She was a mother to everyone, sister or student or working girl.  I don’t think she knew how to get angry.  Her relatives used to declare that she was their favorite aunt.  She had special concern for the weak and poor.  She had cared for many orphan children and rehabilitated them.  They looked upon her as their mother and are deeply grateful.  Almost till the end, she would wash, mend, dust and clean her belongings without troubling anyone.  For everyone she had a word of appreciation.

There was another aspect of her personality that was remarkable.  She was punctual, hardworking and methodic; she had a sharp memory, with dates and figures readily available.  You could ask her for any information and she had the data for it.

In her last years she was confined to her room and bed.  She remained kind and gentle and of course very prayerful and peaceful, to the end.  She died on the 10th November 2002.

Saturday, November 10, 2018